London, UK, images; history; museums and galleries; gardens; the naval guns displayed in the gardens of the Imperial War Museum, London
[The 15-inch gun used in Royal Navy battleships] “was developed in 1912 for the new Queen Elizabeth class battleships and became the main armament in 22 ships. Each example weighs 100 tons (102 tonnes) and, at maximum range, could fire a 1,938lb (876kg) shell a distance of 16 1/4 miles (29kms). The guns were installed in front of the Imperial War Museum London in 1968.
[This gun] “was mounted in HMS Ramilles in 1916. It first saw action in 1920 during the Greco-Turkish War. Later, the gun was used against Italian land forces and warships in August and November 1940. It was removed from HMS Ramilles in 1941.” (from a public information point at the Imperial War Museum)